Sunday, June 30, 2013

My Country, Of Thee I Bead! Challenge

Finally...
I finished my piece. I want to make bracelet too, but the time is off already. And my post of reveal day is late too. So I decide to post my necklace for this challenge. Thank you for Nancy Smith to host this challenge. I love this challenge cause I want to dedicate this for my country's birthday next month on 17th Aug. That's why in my design full of red and white colors. And you will find Indonesia coat of arms 'Burung Garuda' in this design. So here my...
The national flag of Indonesia, which is known as Sang Saka Merah-Putih ("The Sacred Red-and-White") or Bendera Merah-Putih ("The Red-and-White Flag") or simply Merah-Putih ("The Red-and-White"), or sometimes referred to as Sang Dwiwarna ("The Bicolor") in Indonesian is based on the banner of the 13th century Majapahit Empire in East Java. The flag itself was introduced and hoisted in public at the Indonesian Independence Day ceremony, on 17 August 1945. The design of the flag has remained the same ever since.
The Indonesian coat of arms consists of an eagle, called "GARUDA," that is a figure from ancient Indonesian epics. It is also pictured on many temples from the 6th Century. The eagle is a symbol of creative energy. Its principal color, gold, suggests the greatness of the nation. The black color represents nature. There are 17 feathers on each wing, 8 on the tail and 45 on the neck. These figures stand for the date of Indonesia's independence proclamation: 17 August, 1945.
The motto, "Bhinneka Tunggal lka" (Unity in Diversity), is enshrined on a banner held in the eagle's talons. This old Javanese motto was introduced by Empu Tantular, a saint of the Majapahit Kingdom, in the 15th Century. It signifies the unity of the Indonesian people despite their diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds. The shield symbolizes self-defense in struggle and protection of oneself. The red and white colors on the shield's background denote the colors of the Indonesian national flag. The five symbols on the shield represent the state philosophy of Pancasila, the foundation of the Indonesian state.

Do you want to see other participants from different countries? Here are this years participants with their Blog and their country of inspiration (the country in brackets is where they now live)
Nan Smith (host): wirednan.blogspot.ca Canada
Dini Bruinsma: http://angazabychanges.blogspot.ca The Netherlands
Stephanie Weiss : http://uniquelymebwd.blogspot.com  USA
Ana Cravidao (ACBeads) :http://acbeads.blogspot.com. Portugal
Vera: veradesigns.blogspot.com   Germany (USA)
Delilah: http://mssdelilah.wordpress.com             Romania
LiliKrist: http://pcbylik.blogspot.com                            Indonesia
N Vakentine Studio :  www.nvalentine.blogspot.com  Canada
Karin: maverickbeads.blogspot.ca                                Calgary, Canada
Diah Anggreni : http://pernik-manik.blogspot.com         Indonesia
Karen : www.overthemoon-design.com                                 Australia
Cath Thomas : http://samohtac.blogspot.ca                    Switzerland
Asri Wahyuningsih : http://asribeadwork.blogspot.com     USA
Crysalis Jewelry Design                                              Denmark ( Canada)
Jasvanti Patel: www.jewelrybyjasvanti.blogspot.com         USA
Lola: http://beadlolabead.blogspot.ca              USA
Beccy Peterson           Sweden (USA)
Paula Hisel : www.simplybeadiful.weebly.com    USA
Inge von Roos: ingetraud.wordpress.com                Germany
Laurie Vyselaar: Lefthandjewelry.wordpress.com.     USA
Toltec Jewels: http://www.jewelschoolfriends.com    USA
Anindita Basu: www.alankarshilpa.blogspot.com  USA




17 comments:

  1. Lili, Your necklace is wonderful! I love the pattern of beadwork -- so beautiful. I have been looking and looking for exactly that weave! Do you have a tutorial or could you tell me where to learn? I want so much to make that beadwork beautiful pattern, but until now haven't found it anywhere.

    Your necklace is stunning! The red and white colorway is sophisticated: the red beads and white netting and white beads and red netting looks fabulous! Very chic. And your clasp is amazing. The dragon is rich and protective; and I like how you included the black and gold beaded bead, honoring Indonesia's nature and greatness as a nation.

    I love learning of your country's flag, and that the eagle is a symbol of creative energy. The eagle is my country's symbol too :) The banner on Indonesia's flag is my favorite part of all: "Bhinneka Tunggal lka" (Unity in Diversity)!

    Beautiful jewelry! Happy Hopping :)
    Love,
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rita =)
      I'm new to beadweaving. So all the pattern I got learn from youtube.
      For the main part which white shell pearls, red shell pearls and Gudo glass beads netting with Matsuno bugle in red and white, I use TUBULAR NETTING technique.
      And for the second part which support the main part, consist with Matsuno bugle in red, white, light blue and grey, I use TWISTED TUBULAR HERRINGBONE technique.
      Just search using the technique name on youtube, and you'll find so many tutorial =)

      Delete
    2. And for the black beaded bead charm is ORNATE BEADED BEAD technique =)

      Delete
  2. lovely post and necklace... :)
    clasp'nya jg kereeen mbak...beli dimana? haha...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi LiliKrist! You wrote a very interesting post about your beading creation. Your necklace is gorgeous and full of class. I especially liked the way you've included the colours of the flag and the coats of arms (the eagle, the black and the gold colours) in your necklace. I'm now a follower to your blog. Happy creations! Ana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lily, I came to know so much about your beautiful country Indonesia from your post. I am aware of the GARUDA symbol..From the Indian epic Ramayana, where the Garuda took Sita to Ravana's kingdom.

    Your jewelry is just awesome, the style, color and the clasp. Very well done. Following you. Dita.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome work...njlimet banget kayaknya hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazingly beautiful necklace......love the way the color blended each other in such a beautiful way...... and the clasp is so unique and by looking at the clasp I feel energized, strong and yet secure..... besides your work is very neat and precise.... excellent....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lily, your necklace is just gorgeous and Very Elegant. I am so happy to have learnt about Indonesia history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Solange =)
      You should joint for this theme next time. France has glorious history too. I read some when I was in school.

      Delete
  8. Hi Lily, you give me a lot of new information about your country, thank you so much! Your work is stunning, I saw some pictures on Facebook already, but liked to comment here :-)

    ReplyDelete